Posted by: jinniver | April 21, 2010

It’s a boy! Again!

Yes, I know–I already told you all about my nephew.  This isn’t about him.

My youngest cousin is expecting.  She’s actually due about a month after my sister-in-law is, and she and her husband learned today that they’re having a boy too.  I’d thought Lexie and my niece Stella would be the cousins with the closest birth dates, but my nephew and my 2nd cousin will have them beat.

So now, I’ve got some more boy knitting to plan!

Fortunately, I’ve already gotten some done…

…like the Log Cabin blanket I blogged about:

Log Cabin for My Nephew (3)

Project: Log Cabin for my Nephew
Pattern: Easy 4 Colour Log Cabin Baby Blanket (modified)
Yarn: Spud & Chloe Sweater, in Moonlight (blue-green), Lake (blue), Toast (tan) and Firefly (yellow), approx 240 yds of each
Needles: US8 KnitPicks Options circs

I didn’t use the pattern exactly as written; I really only used the color sequencing that the pattern called for. I made my center square larger and then kept the logs the same width as that center square for the first couple layers. Then, as the yarn started getting a little more scarce and the blanket started reaching the size I wanted, I halved the width for one round, and then halved it again for a last round as a border. Definitely a modern twist to the traditional log cabin, although I did keep up one tradition: the yellow center. Traditionally, the centers of log cabin squares are either yellow or red, to represent the home; yellow for the light shining from the window, and red for the fire in the hearth.

I did have about half a skein of each color left when I finished the blanket. I love Spud & Chloe sweater; it’s a 50/50 mix of cotton and superwash wool, which makes it warm without being too warm; nicely weighted without being too heavy; soft without being prone to a lot of pilling; and machine washable. For me, it’s the perfect baby yarn. So I definitely didn’t want the leftover yarn to go to waste.

My first thought was that I could knit a little sweater for my nephew with the Toast, Moonlight, and Lake. I thought about adding the yellow but decided that I preferred the more classic color combination of tan, blue-green, and blue. So then I had to find a pattern. Initially, I was going to use the Eyelet Yoke Cardigan variation I’d come up with for a boy (no eyelets), but I couldn’t get gauge with the yarn I had. So instead I took the schematics from that pattern and determined my own pattern using the Incredible Custom-Fit Raglan recipe. I ended up not having quite as much yarn as I expected, so my planned long-sleeved cardigan became a short-sleeved version, and I had to break into another cache of Toast in order to finish off the button band…but I loved the outcome:

Manly Stripes for a Baby Boy (3)

Project: Manly Stripes for a Baby Boy
Pattern: Incredible Custom-Fit Raglan
Yarn: Spud & Chloe Sweater, in Moonlight (blue-green), Lake (blue), and Toast (tan), approx 80 yds of each
Needles: US8 KnitPicks Options circs

And again…you have to love the buttons:

Manly Stripes for a Baby Boy (4)

Of course, this left me with half a skein of the Firefly, which I had to do something with…and I’d already planned to knit him his very own bunny…

His First Bunny (6)

Project: His First Bunny
Pattern: Knitted Bunny
Yarn: Spud & Chloe Sweater, in Firefly (yellow), 60 yds
Needles: US6 KnitPicks Options circs

I’d been wanting to knit this ever since I saw someone post about it on Ravelry. The trick is that it’s a very simple knit–just a square. Seriously. No shaping is done with the knitting–you knit a square, and then follow the schematic to sew it into a bunny shape. The ears are knit separately and sewed on, but that’s the trickiest part (as long as you just trust the pattern. Don’t think about it; just follow it). My only concern was the tail. The pattern called for either sewing on some stuffing or pulling some from the inside through the knit fabric, but this is a present for a baby. I didn’t want loose stuffing that he could chew and choke on.

So, originally I’d planned to leave bunny tailless…but then I looked at the finished product, after the sewing was done. Turns out bunny is a little…um…wide hipped. He really needed a tail. I briefly considered a pom-pom, but that would be just as problematic as stuffing–loose pieces of yarn could just as easily be pulled out by a baby. Then it occurred to me that I could start a pom-pom and just not cut the yarn. I wasn’t sure how it would look, but I’m pretty chuffed with the outcome:

His First Bunny (7)

My only problem has been keeping the bunny out of the grasp of my children, both whom have tried to claim him as their own. So I see a lot more bunny knitting in my future, once I’ve got these babies taken care of!

(Note to my non-Ravelry followers: my project pages are now available for public viewing, whether you’re a Ravelry member or not!)


Responses

  1. Great baby knits – t can be tough with baby boys – girls are so easy to cute knit for. Love the bunny – nothing wrong with hips – and the tail is adorable!

    PS those are the coolest buttons. I want some for me!


Categories

%d bloggers like this: