A little less than halfway into the knitting of Lexie’s diaper cover, I wasn’t sure it was going to fit. It just looked too small. But once I was done, I was feeling a lot more confident about the result. Sewing up the seams was a bit of a bear; I used the same yarn I knit with (as always) but it tended to stick and was hard to pull through. Also, while I’ve got the mattress stitch down when it’s a straight seam, the diagonals tend to be…not as pretty.
Still, I’m quite satisfied with the end result:
It’s definitely baggier in front than it needs to be, but I’m not sure if that’s a function of the pattern, my modifications to the pattern, or my finishing skills. I don’t particularly care either way, since most people aren’t going to get this view of the cover; mostly they’ll see it covering her butt as she stands up in that ungainly way toddlers do! I do like the bit of sparkle added by the yarn (Bernat Baby Coordinates), although that shiny thread was a pain in the butt while knitting. It kept snagging no matter how carefully I knit (and since I spent most of my time on this knitting and chatting, I usually wasn’t knitting carefully!) and despite the fact that my needle tips aren’t exceptionally pointy. It was worth it in the end, so now it doesn’t matter how ladylike (or not) Lexie is when she sits down.
And today, I finished my shawl. I’m not sure what compelled me to power through this, other than the fact that all the yarns together looked so cool and so I couldn’t wait to see it finished. Now that it’s done I’m not sure when I’ll be wearing it…but I’ll find an excuse. Some way, some how, I’ll find a reason.
I love those colors. Love them. And it’s such a great use of novelty yarns. I really think that most of those yarns, had I knit an entire shawl from just one, would be too overwhelming. It would be too fuzzy or too glittery. But in combination, I think the best is brought out in every yarn.
The only part I didn’t like was the finishing, just because it was a bit tedious. After all, there’s a lot of different sections of yarn in there…which means a lot of joins. This was an instance where knotting the yarn was a must–the fabric was too loose and the yarn too slippery for weaving in tails. So instead each join was knotted and then glued with fabric glue. Stockinette stitch meant there’s a definite wrong side for all of the knots.
My shawl did turn out much narrower and longer than the sample. I’m not sure if perhaps there was an error in the pattern, or if it’s because I knit tighter than average (although I don’t think I knit that much tighter). I don’t mind the narrowness, but when I knit the next one (in the golds and creams), I’m going to cast on more stitches.
Then I need to find a babysitter so Steve and I can go to a fancy dinner so I can wear my shawl…after I go shopping for a worthy dress!