Close. So close.
I finished up the lace hat I designed to corral my bob from the Texas winds today. My original plan was to adapt the pattern from Un-Purled Cables Hat, but before I even cast on, I decided against it. Cables make the fabric thicker, and I wanted a looser, more lightweight fabric. The idea was to end up with something that wouldn’t be too hot for a Texas “spring” (which, incidentally, meant mid-80s today).
So I pulled out Barbara Walker’s A Treasury of Knitting Patterns to look for a lace pattern. I wanted open and easy but textured. After paging through over two dozen pages, I wised up and went back to the beginning of the lace section. My choice was a version of faggotting–the Turkish stitch (p. 185). It’s basically a combination of YOs and K2togs, but with the way the yarn zigs and zags, it’s much more interesting looking than simple eyelets.
I loved the way the fabric looked.
It’s a little hard to see with 2 layers on top of each other, but the Turkish faggotting creates diagonal lines that result in a swirling look in the hat.
I knit the hat until it was about 4″ from the cast on edge and then began the decreases. When I finished I discovered that the hat wasn’t quite as long as I’d hoped it would be–the decreases didn’t add as much length as I expected. I also ended up with a bit more of a beret shape than I expected, but I really liked the look.
The hat looked pretty cute on.
And it even worked–as you can see, I took the pictures outside in a light wind, and my hair mostly stayed out of my face.
So, I started working up the pattern to post, and then it was time to go get Jeffrey at school. I tucked Lexie in the stroller, confidently perched my new hat on my head, and headed out.
Unfortunately, I’d failed to check the wind…and it was a lot stronger than it had been when I took the pictures. That’s when I realized my hat was close–but not quite there. And close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades…not knitting patterns.
It’s not a total loss–it’ll still be a cute hat to wear when it’s not so windy. But I’ve already figured out the changes I need to make. The decreases were the hardest part to figure out, and those won’t change, so it shouldn’t take me too long to knit the new hat. Then we’ll see about that wind…