I have emerged triumphant.
Once I actually got started on Jeffrey’s second glove, it went together very quickly. The only part I had to really think about was the thumb. Since there’s a pattern across the back of the hand, there has to be a left glove and a right glove, which I established through thumb placement. My thought on how to work that turned out just as I planned. Even Jeffrey was surprised by how well it all came together.
Fortunately, he seems to really like them!
I’ve added advice in the pattern on how to resize the gloves up or down, or to snug up the upper ribbing (left loose on Jeffrey’s wristers because he hated the feel of snug ribbing by his fingers).
I wasn’t sure how the slip stitch pattern was going to work when paired with such colorful variegated yarn, but I knew that even if the raised lines of slipped stitches weren’t visible, they would be obvious to the touch. Surprisingly, the slipped stitches show up even better than I expected, and had the added benefit of breaking up the occasional spots of pooling that appeared on the palms. On a solid or semi-solid yarn, the slipped stitches will add simple visual interest to the backs of the gloves.
And there they are–the perfect gloves for the cooler winter days in south Texas! If you’d like to give them a try for your best boy, the pattern is here: Jeffrey’s Slipstitch Wristers. And come to think of it, I’ve got more than enough yarn left to make a matching hat…