…I promised an update on my Nothing But a T-shirt KAL entry.
There. I hope you’re happy.
Ok, seriously…I did let my NBaT slip. Show me pretty yarn and I have the attention span of a fruit fly…or my 3-year-old playing outside (in the course of 10 minutes, we “played baseball,” kicked the soccer ball around, played in the playhouse, played baseball again, slid on the slide, played baseball some more, tossed the football, and then got back on the slide). But c’mon–hand-painted silk yarn? How am I supposed to resist that? And the burpcloths/dishcloths were actually functional knitting. And don’t forget the Hawaiian shirts. Plus, there are two other WIPs I’ve got going that I can’t talk much about right now. One is a block swap I’m doing with the Quilters Knitting group on Ravelry–we’re keeping our blocks under wraps until they’re swapped out, and the unexpected surgery of one swapper has delayed that slightly. The other is a total secret, so I’m not even going to give a hint. Not even which fiber art it is.
Anyways, back to my NBaT. I knew I’d been away too long when I picked it up and realized I had no idea where in the pattern I was. A fellow knitter at Knotty Girls noticed my blank stare. “Forgot where you were?” she asked. Yep. Fortunately, checking the edge verified my guess that I was 10 rows into the armhole shaping. I finished the shaping just as I finished off the current ball of yarn, held it up to take a look, and…
It was long. Really long. And yet I had another 5 inches to go before I even started the neckline shaping, which was going to take another 2 inches. There was no way I needed to knit another 7 inches to get the length I was looking for. Granted, I wanted this to be longer than most t-shirts, which are too short for me, but this was beginning to look like a mini-dress in the making…and that is so not my look. I tried holding it up against my front, but I just couldn’t get a good idea of how it was measuring. So I tucked it back into my bag until I could get home to my assistant (aka Steve) and my tape measure.
I was pretty sure I knew what had happened: I hadn’t weighted my gauge square before I measured, and so my row gauge was off. The yarn was heavier than I expected, and over this much length it was just stretching more than I anticipated. In some knits, not a big deal because I could just knit a little shorter. But with something so fitted, there were a lot of things that had to be in just the right spot.
I didn’t get a chance to pull the NBaT out of my tote until after we got both kids to bed. Then Steve and I headed to the bathroom so I could watch what he was doing in the mirror. He held the shirt up so that the hem hung to just the point that I wanted, and then I checked the armholes…and found the shaping started just under my armpits, like it was supposed to.
Still, I had trouble believing it. So, as you can see in the picture above, I laid my WIP over one of my t-shirts. This time I lined up the armholes, and durned if the hem of my NBaT wasn’t about 2 1/2 inches longer than the t-shirt. Obviously, I don’t eyeball sizes well. Still, it’s clear that I won’t need to knit quite as many more rows as my revised pattern is calling for. So, I’m pretty close to calling the back done, and then it’s time to tackle the front with all the fun I’m adding there.